Limiting access & content filter
You will greatly reduce the risk of unauthorized access to your kiosks by running eCrisper from an account with reduced access. You can also use the Mac’s Parental Controls feature to control the applications and content a kiosk user may use or view.
Managed account with parental control
- Install eCrisper first.
- Launch System Preferences.
- Click the Accounts icon to open the Accounts preferences pane.
- Click the lock icon (bottom left corner). You will be asked to provide the password for the administrator account you are currently using. Enter your password, and click the OK button. You may have to repeat this during the process.
- Click the plus (+) button located below the list of user accounts.
- The New Account sheet will appear.
- Select Managed with Parental Controls from the New Account dropdown menu at the top of the sheet.
- Enter a name for this account in the Name and Nickname fields – for example kioskuser.
- Enter a password for this account in the Password field and descriptive hint if you wish.
- Click on the Create Account button. You should be back to the Accounts pane with your new account selected and Enable parental controls checked. Do not check Allow user to administer this computer. Click on Open Parental Controls.
- Select the user you want to modify, in this case kioskuser, if it is not already selected.
- Under System check Simple Finder and Only allow selected applications. Uncheck all Applications except eCrisper under Other.
- Unckeck ‚Can Administer printers‚ Can burn CDs and DVDs, and Can Change Password.
- Select the Content tab. The Content section of Parental Controls lets you control which web sites the managed user may visit. It also lets you place a filter on the included Dictionary application, to prevent access to profanity. Web sites containing adult content will be restricted according to a proprietary method that Apple uses. You can click the Customize button to add specific web sites to allow or never allow lists.
- Go back (left arrow at the top) and click on Login Options (bottom of the account list). Set the new account as Automatic login and enter the password when required.
- That’s it. Next time you reboot it should use this new managed account. If you checked Launch automatically in the General pane of eCrisper settings, it should start as a kiosk.
- One more thing you might do: reduce the size of the taskbar to 0 in case it is displayed for a second or 2 when rebooting.